Young Robin - taken 2009 in back garden - Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, Ireland

WEEKLY TWEET

When was the last time you actually watched wildlife in your back garden?

Today? Last week? Can't remember? In today's modern world, we are finding it increasingly difficult to relax and take time out from work or family. This blog is to remind you all of the free entertainment that we can enjoy each and every day - WILDLIFE!

Monday, October 26, 2009

New Feeder

I don't know why but I always feel a nervous anticipation whenever a new feeder is put up in our garden. I sit watching it impatiently waiting for something to land on it, having little bets with myself as to which bird will be the first! It's usually either the Coal Tit or Robin, but today nothing has ventured onto it, so far.

I hate to admit it but I've become complacent when it comes to our wildlife - I've been moaning for some weeks now that our garden is empty of all bird life, when in fact the Coal Tits have been down every day. These poor little things have to eat the equivalent of their own body weight in food EVERY DAY and they are rewarded with me sighing...."oh it's only a Coal Tit"! I forget that 4 years ago I hadn't ever even seen a Coal Tit before!
I'm so desperate to attract new birds into our garden that I'm beginning to ignore the regular, faithful ones!
How can I forget the Robin who sings his heart out every morning at first light? Or the Blackbirds who keep diving into the undergrowth to eat berries?


Some people have never even seen any of these birds before.
I ought to be grateful for what birds we do get and not impatient for the ones we don't.
And anyway winter is just around the corner.........who knows what that may bring in?!

10 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Thats the way Sharon, think positive! put out some old apples, you might get a Redwing, Fieldfare or Mistle thrush come in.
Good luck

Sharon said...

Thanks Warren - actually I have been putting out apple but nothing touches it during the day then the Fox eats it in the evening (again mustn't grumble though!)

Jenny said...

It's all too easy to take our common birds for granted. Tho, I'm always grateful I think to hear the Robin, one of the few birds that seems to sing all year round! Keep on with the apples Sharon and don't be surpised to find a winter thrush or two visiting one of these days! (-:

ShySongbird said...

My garden has gone quiet too Sharon, I thought it was because of the Sparrowhawk being around but I also suspect it is all the berries in the hedgerows keeping them away. As you say who knows what Winter may bring in? We had Bramblings the Winter before last which was wonderful...except no camera then!! Love the Robin photo.

Chris said...

Hi Sharon,
Yes like everything with nature, you have to be patient and eventually, you will see more than coal tit or robin, which I would definitively like to see in my garden!! Nice blog you have!!

Sharon said...

Thanks Chris! I keep forgetting that people in other parts of the world don't see our everyday birds like the Robin etc - I need to look at our birds with different eyes & appreciate them for what they are!

Pete Woodruff said...

Many thanks for looking in on Birds2blog Sharon. I'll take a closer look at your blog 'Weekly Tweet' when time allows me, meanwhile my best wishes to you.

Jann said...

Hi Sharon, I'm really happy to have you following my blog, and I love yours! I feel the same way about a new feeder, very anxious to see who will visit. I saw the first dark-eyed junco in our back yard today...and the male house finches are coming back again. It IS easy to get bored with the usual feeders, but like you, I have to remind myself to appreciate them! They're all precious! You have a really nice blog...I'm off to explore it some more. :o)

Sharon said...

Thanks for your comments Jann, I love your blog too! It's nice to see the variety of birds people get in different countries.

Anonymous said...

I have seen this bird before on Tom's blog and it is quite different from our's.

I posted a mystery bird on my birds blog today trying to see if anybody recognizes it.

mybirdsblog.blogspot.com