Don't get me wrong, I'm not lazy and I don't mind walking but the thought of lugging back kilogram bags of peanuts & seed for about 3 miles in freezing cold just doesn't appeal to me so what do we do?
Well, we do what the Brits are best at........ we have to make the best of a bad job (and moan whilst doing it!)
So, after about an hour spent raiding the cupboards, chopping ingredients, melting fat...the kitchen looked like a bomb had hit it!
At least our efforts weren't in vain though and:-
- The peanut feeder was promptly filled with chopped chestnuts left over from Christmas which the Great Tits enjoyed.
- The stale bread was soaked in water and mixed with raisins, peanut butter and a bit of seed.
- The fat was melted down into a bowl and mixed with the last of the seed, raisins & chopped apple and put in the fridge to set.
- Mince pies were chopped up along with more apple.
- Another apple was peeled and cored and stuck on top of the feeder pole just to see if anything would try it!
We threw everything outside and didn't have to wait long... the Robin was straight down to investigate and promptly chased any Chaffinches & Dunnocks that appeared!
We seem to be inundated with Blackbirds at the moment who of course love the raisins and apple.
Great Tit munching on chestnuts