Young Robin - taken 2009 in back garden - Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, Ireland

WEEKLY TWEET

When was the last time you actually watched wildlife in your back garden?

Today? Last week? Can't remember? In today's modern world, we are finding it increasingly difficult to relax and take time out from work or family. This blog is to remind you all of the free entertainment that we can enjoy each and every day - WILDLIFE!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fox Update

We now have an adult fox visiting every night for the peanuts & apple but I'm not sure if its the vixen or not.

I know its definitely not Peanut, it sounds stupid but its not the same face!
I know Peanut would be a young adult now & would have different features but I'm sure I would know if it was him!
I don't think he visits us anymore - probably been outed by his parents :-(

Does anybody know how to tell the difference between male & female foxes?
Is it the obvious thing that males are bigger / heavier than females?
If that's the case then I would need to see both together!


Oh well....... guess I'll just have to keep feeding them!

4 comments:

Warren Baker said...

I just go by the size of the fox to sex them. Oh, and look to see if it has any wedding tackle! :-)

ShySongbird said...

As far as I know, the male is a little longer and heavier but to work that out you would have to see them side by side! I think the real answer is, it's not easy to tell :)

Phil Sharp said...

Hi Sharon. Apart from size and weight male foxes generally have a broader head and a longer and slimmer snout I believe. Not easy at all.
Phil

Sharon said...

Thanks for all your advice! Its just difficult to tell as there's never 2 together!